Donald Trump & so on.

What meddlework should we be doing?

Re: Donald Trump & so on.

Postby Oskar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 am

No, it's not. If it were, there are a whole lot of projects I'd be engaged in right now.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Postby JWaterford » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:35 am

Still not possible, although...

Well. If you're interested in a thought experiment, I've seeded it as Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, room N of HIBERNIA.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Ethan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 am

It really depends on how we define meddlework, doesn't it, Professor? The things we do with sense triggers, those mostly rely on senses and experiences other people can't access. But the basic stuff - semiotics - in the age of the Internet, when gathering a data sample of statistically significant size is almost trivial - of course they can do that stuff. Anyone always could.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Alexander » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:58 am

What I was thinking was that certain demographics or classes in given regional areas may share sensory motivators that are something like triggers. So perhaps if you change the flavor of McDonalds french fries or you add a subtle aroma to Coors Light beer or somesuch tweak you might be able to motivate xenophobia or misogyny or fear of change or other mass tendencies that could alter political party support for an election depending how the politicians portray themselves. In any individual case it might have no effect at all, but so long as there is more positive movement than negative in the target population it would be a political benefit for the meddler.

But perhaps I am overthinking what was never anything more than the ordinary usages of propaganda.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Well.

I mean, that sounds far-fetched, but maybe we should conduct some kind of study. Our way or their way, whatever's more practical.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 pm

I don't believe it.

However, I've been wrong before, so I have no objection to a study.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I've found some (admittedly anecdotal) success in small crowds with this type of thing. Body language is, of course, a big set, but smells and even subtle visual and audible effects can sometimes be used effectively, especially if the crowd is all from a common area. Again, more just personal experience, no formal study. I can see a whole ongoing study being useful, as there is quite a bit of range to explore here.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 pm

And no, stop it. I'm not going to be the one studying it. I have too much going on as it is, with this whole "replacing the clinical trial system" thing I'm tangled up in.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Previous

Return to Proposals