Tunnel Hill

Here we talk about past meddlework, and evaluate the long-term results. And talk about what we can learn from past mistakes. Also, if you must, a place to wax nostalgic.

Tunnel Hill

Postby Phil » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:29 pm

150 years ago today, I was minding my own business, shooting at rebs while we tried to take a little part of Missionary Ridge, and some bastard had the effrontery to kill me. Really. The was one of the most screwed up operations I've ever been on. I know Sherman is considered a great general, and, to be honest, we all loved him at the time. And he really was very good at a lot of things. But I swear, the man could not run an offensive battle.

Anyway, done reflecting.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Re: Tunnel Hill

Postby Alexander » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Frontal assault on entrenched defenders, wasn't it? The amazing thing was that it actually worked out in the end, with only 10% casualties. Commiserations on being one of the unlucky ones. Isn't it strange and wonderful to be able to say such a thing? Even now, after almost 100 years as an Incrementalist, I find it remarkable. Almost makes it seem like game.

Perhaps Sherman learned from that assault, though, as from what I read in Liddell-Hart, his campaign the following year was a good example of the indirect approach.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Re: Tunnel Hill

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Not exactly, that one was a bit different. We were supposed to take Tunnel Hill the night before, and the map was fucked up, so we took a different hill just shy of it, something called, I don't know, Mule's Ass hill, or Damned Idiot Hill, or something. So on the 24th we had to assault Tunnel Hill, which we thought we'd taken, and by then Cleburne had moved in. And the problem with Sherman wasn't frontal assaults on entrenched positions as much as it was his habit of sending us in one regiment at a time. That's the weird thing about him, though; he ran a great offensive campaign, but a terrible offensive battle. Ever been shot in the eye? It sucks.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Return to History