50 Years Since the Kennedy Assassination

Here we talk about past meddlework, and evaluate the long-term results. And talk about what we can learn from past mistakes. Also, if you must, a place to wax nostalgic.

50 Years Since the Kennedy Assassination

Postby Oskar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:09 pm

I was, of course, living in Germany when news came of the assassination, and it is impossible to overstate the emotional impact it had on Europeans. But what I find myself remembering now is that it set off years of arguments among us--arguments that weren't that easy to carry out in the pre-internet days--that mirrored the arguments in society in general: conspiracy, or the act of a single gunman?

I've pulled together some of the seeds of those arguments and set them up as souvenirs in the stand at the base of the Eiffel Tower.

The arguments went on for nearly twenty years, and, of course, were never settled by us any more than by the nemones. But now, looking back on the whole thing, what strikes me as most significant isn't the question of whether it was a conspiracy, it is the point that so many nemones, particularly Americans, believe that it either was or could have been a conspiracy. In other words, intelligent, reasonable people--masses of them--consider it perfectly possible that there was a coup in the United States. That fact, by itself, is, in my opinion, of vital importance. The notion that, even then, there could be a small elite successfully undermining democracy is not limited to the fringe, or the nut-jobs, but is simply part of popular thought.

I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the importance of this.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Re: 50 Years Since the Kennedy Assassination

Postby Ethan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 am

That's a chilling thought to have, first thing in the morning.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Return to History