[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Incrementalists Forum • View topic - Ethan

Ethan

We all have to die sometime, right?

Re: Ethan

Postby Oskar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:39 pm

She has a post-modern Garden.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Postby Vivian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Dear god in heaven. Ren, I promise not to shake your hand if you won't shake mine.
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm much more curious to hear about Ren's garden now.

And Viv, Qing says he's missed you. Which is, um, a first for anyone on this board.

-E
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Vivian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Oh, what a dear. I'm sure he knows it's mutual.
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:13 pm

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone call Qing a dear. And I've been grazing his history more than is healthy for me, apparently. But, um, yes, it's nice to meet you! -E
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Vivian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Once you've been about the place a bit longer, you'll hear some of the things they call me. In a spirit of loving kindness, of course.
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Actually, I just got the kid up to speed on what we did in Harare, so he's heard a few of them now. -Q
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Vivian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Hah! No, I still can't regret that one.

I still think causing dueling to go out of fashion in England was one of your most elegant meddles, Q. I was proud to have a part in it, even so small a one. Ethan, do graze that one; it's instructive as well as exquisite.
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Alexander » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:17 pm

"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Started about then. Bitch of a project. The kid has it filed as The Duel of Paris and Menelaos.

Couldn't have pulled it off without you, Viv.

Or Celeste, for that matter, though that was mostly consulting.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 am

Yes, I was in the New World already, and Celeste hadn't joined me. What inspired it was years and years earlier, and happened here in the USA, when we lost Hamilton after having put all that work into meddling with him and were just about ready to set him loose. We were still bitching about that a generation later, until Qing said, essentially, "Shut up about it already, and just make sure it doesn't happen again." I asked him how the hell he proposed to do that, and the rest will never be in history books. I think it was shortly after that that Celeste crossed the ocean for the first time and joined me in Boston.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Alexander » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 am

What did you want with Hamilton? Were you about to cure his aristocratic pretensions? I would have supposed you'd successfully meddled with Burr.... Good job with Paine, though.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Vivian » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Vivian » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:12 am

Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:18 am

Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 am

What Viv said about Hamilton. Remember, this was pre-US-Civil War: all the kingdoms of Europe were watching the US to see if we were going to be successful as a nation without kings, or just be remembered for slaughtering Indians. The role of the central government was a big part of that, and Hamilton was right in the thick of it. It'd be worth reviewing some of that. I've put some of those seeds back, and you can find them as a row of marble vases on the mantelpiece in my dining room.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Vivian » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 am

Ethan/Q, I still say that's debatable. Pistols popularized the behavior (speaking in terms of social class); only "gentlemen" carried and used swords. And it was one of their class markers that they trained with them, too. The perception among fools was that any fool could fire a pistol.

Now it's true that a pistol duel allowed for the possibility that no one would be struck by a ball and honor would still be satisfied. But it decreased the chances that an unskilled duelist would shoot to wound and succeed.
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

PreviousNext

Return to Stubs