[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Incrementalists Forum • View topic - Ethan

Ethan

We all have to die sometime, right?

Ethan

Postby Phil » Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Welcome aboard, Ethan. How's the head?
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Re: Ethan

Postby Ethan » Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Intractable. We'll settle in, I'm sure, but at the moment there's still a vigorous ongoing debate about what our next steps are. Takes me back.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Ethan » Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey, I'm not the only one who's intractable. This guy never tells me anything.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby JWaterford » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:44 pm

If you need someone to talk to in person, you can come up to the university any time (well, call first; I have a lot of water to boil this summer). Or I can come downtown and meet you--either way.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:43 pm

I'd probably rather have you come down -- there's not a lot of chance anyone I know would see me, but I'm still staying pretty low profile. And there's nothing too urgent, but there's maybe some conversations I need to have with you and other people. Qing's perspective seems pretty, well... (kid's trying to find a nice way of saying I never played well with others, which is true enough. If he takes over from me, he has to work with you all -- so I'm not slowing down my lesson plan but in his free time he's welcome to look into dissenting opinions. -Q)

Yeah, pretty much that. And come on, Qing, one of the ground rules was no interrupting or interfering with communication. Goes two ways. Unless you want me to... -E

Point taken. Can we delete this tangent now? -Q

No. -E
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Ren » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Wow. Ethan, I can't imagine what this is like for you. Celeste was intractable (excellent word !) but I couldn't really hear her like you seem to be able to hear and speak to Qing. Are you okay? Has anyone else had this experience? It sounds unbearable. Phil told me the transition from one personality to the next was gradual, but I'd assumed days. Is your titan still around? Is there anything Phil and I can do from here?
Ren
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 am

It actually isn't so much that I hear him, except when we're both in the Garden. We leave messages for each other. We kind of fade in and out... sometimes there's shared space, and we can see what the other one is doing, and step in if we really want. Sometimes not.

I, uh. Well. We've been mapping it. When I was first Spiked, I was dominant about six, seven hours a day. At the rate I'm gaining right now I'll be up to thirteen when I hit the three month mark, and all my waking hours by four months. It's not clear who's dominant when we sleep. Dreaming is... pretty weird, actually.

Qing says it's happened like this before, if not in a long time (even for Salt) but he can't find the seeds. And my titan's pretty baffled too, I think. Anyway, you've been seeing more of Qing on the board because we figured, well, if he's only got limited time... which he might not! We've had days with the ratio reversed. It's just that the average is creeping my way.

Which is, um, not at all what I expected. When I got titaned, I was sort of at the end of my rope. I, um, I'd tried... anyway, the thought of somebody else getting good use of me and me not being around didn't bug me that much. Or I thought it didn't. I guess I liked it here better than I thought.

Thanks for asking about this. Qing really doesn't like to talk about it. Says he's busy making sure thirteen hundred years of momentum gets passed into, um, good hands; so we spend a lot of time either grazing to get me up to speed, or he spends a lot of time seeding so that anyone could...anyway, we haven't been getting out much. I've been wanting to tell people since we mapped this out and figured it was probably me, because...

Well, if Phil wants to hash out Peru or anyone else has anything they want to say, you've probably only got until the end of July.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 am

I remember the dreams were pretty harsh with Ren, too. Tell Qing that he needs to find a way to show you how to make a hole for the dreams to slide through. It's a state you reach; kind of zen but not really. It's easier to do when you're shown than it is to explain. Or bite the bullet and have your titan show you. Don't white knuckle it; you don't have to, and it can make you gun-shy of the whole Garden.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:59 am

I really don't think I'm likely to get gun-shy about the Garden; I'm spending at least half my part of the day there, and it's... amazing. I'm still kind of ambivalent about the whole immortality thing, but the Garden makes it all worthwhile.

I'll make sure he puts it on the lesson plan, though. Or I'll go see the professor. We had a couple fights early on about what to do if the two of us disagreed strongly, but now we're pretty set on whoever's in front gets to set the rules until it's the other's turn to drive, so... I'll get it worked out, anyway.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:12 am

Ethan, be careful! That much time in the Garden can cause problems: you eat too much, sleep too much, and the real world starts to get frustrating. Seriously. Unless half the day is serious hyperbole, you need to back off. At this stage, maybe two hours a day max. I avoid more than three or four, and try not to do that two days in a row.

Fucking Qing should have told you that.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 am

The real world is always frustrating. And I'm keeping the kid healthy; I've got an investment to protect.

-Q
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 am

An historical first: A guy being his own titan.

And a demonstration of why it should an historical last.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:46 am

Well, unless he picks up the habit from me, it probably will be.

In any case. My shade's shade did something similar to him, and when I grazed it last I remember he didn't come up with the idea. Can't find the seed anymore. Anyway, it works out fine. Not like I haven't titaned plenty in my day. -Q

Wait, is this really that weird? I just thought something about getting Spiked had cured my insomnia. We've been doing about three hours a day together, and I think he spends at least another hour seeding when he's driving. And... okay, I can tell it's weird now, because he really doesn't want me to talk about it. -E
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby JWaterford » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:01 am

Could you give me anything like the right time frame, Qing? I'll graze for it tonight.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Han Dynasty. It *was* a paper fan in the toolshed of Zhongli Quan, but Zhongli Quan shaded two centuries before I was Spiked, and you can't find it that way anymore.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Ren » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Ren
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, actually, I'm seeing my titan soon. Tomorrow. Qing just ... he was very clear about not needing any help, and I think that got things off on the wrong foot. Uh, I'm definitely seeing now how a second opinion on all this is not a bad thing. And I'll step down my Garden time by at least an hour a day.

What's your Garden like? If that's not too personal a question or something.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Next

Return to Stubs