[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Incrementalists Forum • View topic - Irina

Irina

We all have to die sometime, right?

Re: Irina

Postby Sally » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Whatever you people want is fine. I'll just remind you that it'll still be a couple of weeks or a month after first contact before we even know if she'll accept. And thanks for the appreciation. It means a lot to all of us.
"History has remembered the kings and warriors, because they destroyed; art has remembered the people, because they created." --William Morris
Sally
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 am

The kid is pretty sure she'll accept. Me, I'm satisfied either way. I can work with Irina; and I like the new prospect. -Q

Um, so how likely do we think it *is* that Irina will dominate? I mean, just from personal experience this doesn't seem all that predictable except when there's alanguage barrier, or... Qing was just catching up on Celeste. -E
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:18 am

Normally, I'd say an excellent chance of Irina coming out on top. But after all the crap she went through--and put us through--she might pull into a shell. If she does, of course, that will be that.
"History has remembered the kings and warriors, because they destroyed; art has remembered the people, because they created." --William Morris
Sally
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:38 am

When I made the recommendation I didn't realize she was likely to end up with Irina... um, not that I'd withdraw it. Just... make sure she knows who.... okay, no, that's going to come off insulting. You were all pretty good about explaining Qing to me; I trust it'll be the same explaining Irina to her.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby JWaterford » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 am

I've been running numbers on this occasionally, actually. If the stub is Spiked into someone of the same gender, same first language, and same general culture background (social class, religion or lack thereof, etc.), the stub has roughly a 70% percent chance of coming out on top. Cultural factors are a little hard to parse, since there are so many, but a change in gender reduces the stub's chances by about 20% and a change in first language drops it by another 10-40%, depending on if there are other languages held in common.

Of course, we're discussing an individual, not a statistic. Given Irina's experience and strength of personality, I'd say that the smart money is definitely on her stub winning out in this Second.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:06 am

Why am I not surprised that you've studied this, John?

(Which should not be taken as a snark; the more information we have on everything, the better)
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Vivian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm

I am not, of course, paranoid, not even a very little. But I notice Phil began this discussion while I was out of the room, electronically speaking. You didn't mean to do that, did you, Phil, my pet?
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Feh. I began it fairly soon after the new board became active, because she's been in stub almost a year and that's much too long for anyone, much less one of the Salt. And because I wanted to show how virtuous I was. I got a thing for showing I'm virtuous. It's so much easier than actually being virtuous.

Seriously, though, Viv: This isn't about me, and it isn't about you. It's about Irina, and the Salt, and the group. We need to put this thing away, one way or the other.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Matsu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I believe we should go forward with this recruit, and let whatever happens, happen. Having Irina back would be uncomfortable, to be sure, but she is skilled and dedicated. And if she becomes a shade, this new recruit could be extraordinary. Either result is good; the only thing not good is delaying until the opportunity is gone.
Matsu
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Vivian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Thank you, Matsu. There are those among us--not you, obviously--who would seem to prefer that Irina's stub be conveniently misplaced under a flowering shrub for the forseeable future. And I'm charmed that no one can decide which evil--Irina dominant or Irina shaded--would be the lesser.

The woman was my titan. She made me what I am today, in other words, and if any of you would like to add that to her list of faux pas, go right ahead. But shilly-shallying over getting her stub into a new Second is bloody dangerous. Irina isn't all interior decor and social niceties. She understands the transfer of political power to a degree few of us can match.

Are you going to let that moulder while you decide whether she's a good witch or a bad witch?
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Oskar » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:17 am

Vivian's right. Let's do this.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:33 am

I'm passing the buck. Okay, not really. I'm approving, I'm saying go ahead, but--I want to make sure Ren has some input before we make the final decision. I think you all know why. If Ren is good, Sally can go ahead and do the first interview. Sally, please be extra careful to seed everything--every step of the process. If anything goes wrong anywhere down the line, we're going to want all sorts of details.
"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Vivian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 am

Oskar, you warm the cockles of my heart. And possibly one or two other spots as well.
Vivian
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Oskar » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:27 am

It's what I live for, mein leibchen.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Postby Ramon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Go.
Ramon
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:59 pm

The kid and I are agreed. Green light.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby JWaterford » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:51 pm

What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

PreviousNext

Return to Stubs