[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Incrementalists Forum • View topic - Irina

Irina

We all have to die sometime, right?

Irina

Postby Phil » Thu May 31, 2012 10:34 am

It's really time we did something about Irina's stub. We can discuss here, or anyone with an opinion can email Salt directly.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Re: Irina

Postby Oskar » Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 am

Right now, the most important things happening are in Syria and Greece, and we have no one either place. I think we should look for a recruit for Irina's stub in one of those or the other.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Postby Jimmy » Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 am

"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Ramon » Thu May 31, 2012 9:43 pm

I think you don't have the first clue what you are talking about, Jimmy.
Ramon
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Jimmy » Thu May 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Nonsense, Ramon. You know as well as I do that, if you spike someone from a totally different culture from the stub, with a language the stub doesn't speak, 90% of the time the new recruit will dominate. Maybe, after what Irinia did, that's what we want. But we ought to be honest enough to say so, don't you think? I'd like to hear from Phil.
"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Yeah, I kind of don't want to comment on that. My involvement is too personal. Let everyone else decide.

That said, Jimmy is right: we put the stub into a Greek or a Syrian, that's almost certainly it for Irina.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

I've got no attachment to Irina in particular, but this kind of gaming with old folks' heads is exactly why I didn't want anything to do with this board until Ethan insisted. Don't know yet whether I'm going to surf this one out or cede the board to the kid, but at least you all gave me a fair shot.

-Qing
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Thu May 31, 2012 11:12 pm

Bugger off, Qing. So far as I know, you haven't tried to murder anyone lately. And, just in case you're behind the times, I'm kinda sorta in love with the woman Irina tried to kill. Yeah, I'm staying out of this. But don't go holier-than-thou until you know all the facts.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 pm

Well, glad you didn't mistake my intentions in Peru. And I suppose didn't do much better by Sikandar after Kashmir, back when.

Still miss him, though.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:19 am

It wasn't your intentions that were at issue in Peru. And, to be fair, you got me good, and I deserved it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try to nail you the first time I have a chance. As a matter of fact, I'd take it as a kindness if you didn't fade away before I've had a chance for my revenge. That shirt came from Paris.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:06 am

If I can help it, I wont be fading at all. And even if I can't help it, I'll shoot for a new record keeping a timeshare going. Maybe learn a thing or two someone else can use in the future.

Anyway, you should have seen it coming. I didn't do anything in Peru that we hadn't rehearsed for the Sarmatian job. Just a little change of venue, that's all.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Sally » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 am

We've found a potential recruit for Irina's stub. If some of you want to look it over, the basic info and pointers are the mobile hanging in front of the stained glass in my living room. Sorry it's taken so long, but, for reasons you all know, this one was tricky. I think we've finally found a good one, though.
"History has remembered the kings and warriors, because they destroyed; art has remembered the people, because they created." --William Morris
Sally
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm recusing myself from this discussion. I keep mentioning that to give you guys the chance to say how virtuous I'm being for recusing myself from this discussion.

Waiting....

Still waiting...

Humph.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Jimmy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Yes, Phil. You're very virtuous.
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks, Jimmy. Knew I could count on you. Now I can go play poker. Virtuously.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ren » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:36 pm

I should probably be sitting this one out virtuously too, but I think I'd rather see Irina *not* have such a such a dynamic second. I understand the thinking, that she's likely to go shade this time, especially with a recruit as together as the gal you're suggesting, and maybe it's just some subconscious desire on my part to get a chance to actually talk to Irina and find out WTF, but seriously. We know this one's tricky. We know she could have tricks up her sleeve. If we spike her into someone this beautiful and smart and together and educated and powerful, and Irina keeps a toehold in her, or dominates, it could be bad.
Ren
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Oskar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I suggest we table this discussion--no. Skip that. Never mind. Let me start over.

I suggest we hold off on making a decision until Jimmy is back from his travels and recovered and has had time to dig into this. This one is big, and I want to go carefully. I really like the recruit you found, Sally (and Tina and Ric). I like her enough that I'm backing off my request that we find someone in Damascus or Athens. But in this case, even more than usual, nothing should be decided until everyone who wants to has had a chance to weigh in.

That said, Ren, in spite of everything, I'm still inclined to trust Irina. She was under extraordinary pressure before. And, yeah, she fucked up. But when I look at all the work she's accomplished over seven hundred years, I would not be sad to see her remain dominant. Just my opinion.

To repeat: Sally and Tina and Ric: Great job. Top-notch recruit. Even if we decide not to use her for Irina's stub, let's not let her get away.

Ramon? I'd love to hear what you think.
"Victory always casts a new light on the defeats that led up to it." -- Trotsky
Oskar
Activist
Activist

Next

Return to Stubs