[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Incrementalists Forum • View topic - Ramon

Ramon

We all have to die sometime, right?

Ramon

Postby Phil » Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm sorry to have to report that Ramon went into stub sometime late last night or early this morning. I just heard a couple of hours ago. Best guess at this point is a stroke, though we won't know anything for sure for a few days. I know it was unexpected.

We're going to be making plans for the search for a recruit right away. Most of the conversation will be on the Salt board, but if anyone has any suggestions, of course, feel free to include them here. Other than us, he has no family.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Re: Ramon

Postby Ren » Fri May 31, 2013 6:45 am

I'm on the road to Vegas, but I've been thinking as I drove, and want to log a couple of notes: Ramon was an illuminating, insightful, steadfast member of long standing and his unique gift for rationality is still badly needed among us. Ramon was in Salt and died suddenly. Celeste seems to have been activated by his death, I can feel her more clearly than I have in over a year. Neither Phil nor I should recruit or titan this one.
Ren
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Ethan » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Did we ever get someone in Greece? Where are we thinnest at the moment?
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Alexander » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm

"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Fri May 31, 2013 12:57 pm

...God, that came out callous. If Ren is Celeste-ish, maybe I'm Qing-ish at the moment.

i'm going to miss Ramon. Or, well, maybe I'll meet him again in a while and then I won't...

My first time losing someone I knew, even a little, this way. And it's so strange to think of death as... a utilitarian opportunity.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Actually, Ethan, you make a good point. We still had the one brilliant recruit in mind that we never used. I wonder if Ray would mind being a woman.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby JWaterford » Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm

My recommended criteria: Find somebody who's good at math and who has that dispassionate, analytical mind. No-one can really duplicate what's inimitable, but those are qualities we'd miss very much if they were lost to us. (I am still not quite satisfied with that one aspect of Samuel. I miss being able to do quantum mechanics for entertainment. Not that Ramon and I transfer in similar ways--if he keeps anything he'll keep that--but it's been a bit tiresome struggling to understand what in the recent past was second nature.)

I also think that geography isn't a useful criterion for Ramon. He lives in his own head; what's outside of that is almost incidental.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Ren » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:28 am

Jimmy?
Ren
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Jimmy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 am

Sorry, this has hit me harder than I'd have thought. I'd like to keep Ramon within a similar culture, if possible; dropping him into an area where he doesn't speak the language is giving a huge edge to the recruit. As for your idea, Phil, I honestly have no idea how he'd react to being a she, but most of us have spent a lifetime or two as a sex that didn't feel natural, and you remember how quickly we adjust. And that recruit is quite remarkable, and, yeah, good at math and has a wonderfully analytical mind. I'd like to see her used. I think that's a good idea.

Volunteers to approach the recruit, or should I find someone? I don't recall who found her in the first place.
"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Jimmy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Ramon's dust ritual will be 4PM GMT tomorrow. I hope you can all be there.
"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Jimmy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Ramon is back, as Ramon. We used the recruit Sarah. We're relieved to have him back in Salt, though we are sorry, of course, for Sarah's family. Sarah is survived by a mother and two younger sisters.
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:20 am

Sorry I missed Ramon's dust, guys. Looks like I've missed several over the last few years. It's been practically a flood.

How you settling in, Ramon?
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Return to Stubs