Phil

We all have to die sometime, right?

Re: Phil

Postby Jesse » Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm

I've spent some time grazing around some of the stuff you seeded, Oskar, and I have to say that some of what I'm coming up with is...confusing. I'm going to check out a couple more rooms on this, then seed what I've come up with. Probably nothing, but still...
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Postby Ramon » Sat May 03, 2014 7:22 pm

There are several aspects to this: Why was Phil shot, who shot him, why didn't he seed or mention what he was working on, what do we need to consider in a new recruit? Obviously, these are all closely related. As most of you know, if you've ever grazed your Primary's history, it used to be far more common for us to be killed for meddlework that went wrong--heresy and witchcraft were the favorite tools of courts, and naturally if we slipped up with an individual of higher station, we were often simply stubbed out of hand. We should also remember that communication was more difficult in the past, and thus we would quite naturally tend to consult with each other less before attempting meddlework.

I mention these things not to excuse Phil (if, indeed, the shooting is related to his unreported meddlework, as seems likely but is not yet certain), but just to give some perspective. We need to address the various issues, answer the various questions, and make the best decisions we can. I also want to say that those of us "on the ground" here have information we are not yet sharing, and we recognize that this can be frustrating to the rest of you. In part, it is simply that things have been happening fast--I was involved in a critical medical situation immediately upon arriving, and there hasn't yet been time to really catch our breath. Please believe that there is no intention to exclude anyone from the decision-making process. We are simply handling a crisis as best we can, and ask for your patience as we work our way through the various questions that need answering.
Ramon
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Jimmy » Sat May 03, 2014 7:24 pm

We're trying to work things out here in Tucson, and many of you realize that there are odd things going on. We don't understand, yet, what led to Phil's death, and what might spring from it. But I feel like I should remind everyone: we've been here before. It used to happen much more often, when our methods were clumsier, that one of us would be killed unexpectedly. After all, we call what we do "meddling," some people resent being meddled with. That is only natural.

The violent death of one our own--especially Phil--is bound to shake us up. That's all right, it should. But we need to stay focused, stay calm, and deal with the problems. Yes, we're rushing through the process of finding a new recruit for Phil's stub. We're doing this because without speaking to him, we can't know enough about what happened and why. But that rush shouldn't be seen as panic. Let's stay focused, let's remember this is nothing new for us, and let's remember Phil, of all people, knew how to "keep things light" as the Americans say in the midst of a crisis. I don't think this is quite a crisis; at least not yet. Above all, try to be patient with the lack of information you're getting. There are some things we don't know yet, some we know and don't want to put on the forum, and some we don't even want to seed until we have a better idea of what's going on.

All of the emails and gestures of support Ren has been getting are more than a little appreciated, by the way. She's having some trouble with this, but handling it. That's what we all need to do.
"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby JWaterford » Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 pm

I would like to be reassured, Jimmy, but I would also like to point out that
1) People getting killed unexpectedly in the Thirty Years' War or the French Revolution or even getting picked up by secret police in your dictatorship of choice is not the same thing as getting gunned down in suburban America.
2) We have had a very difficult and unpleasant situation involving pretty much everyone who is involved in this difficult and unpleasant situation in the very recent past.
3) Either three-quarters or four-fifths of Salt, depending on how you count it, has rushed to the scene, which I still think is a bad idea, which makes this not only a lot of smoke but a lot of firemen.
4) There is no rational connection between working to reverse SB 1070 and getting gunned down. In, I repeat, suburban America.

This all adds up to Not Reassured. I don't want to jog your collective elbow, but I do want to do something to help. Or at least know something about what is going on.

Also, whither Celeste? Do we have any idea of whether her--remnant, echo, whatever you want to call it--is involved in this?
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Alexander » Sat May 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I too smell some sort of conspiracy, but whether it's ours or someone else's, I'm sure I'm not in a position to say. There are of course many contingent circumstances in the world....
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ryan » Sat May 03, 2014 7:43 pm

If we all drop whatever else we're doing, and just concentrate on figuring out what happened to Phil, we can probably learn the answers a lot faster.
Ryan W. "Billy" Anderson
Future Geologist. I'm sure of it.
Ryan
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Alexander » Sat May 03, 2014 7:51 pm

That seems rather alarmist, Ryan. I presume that once the identity of the shooter is ascertained all other questions will quickly be answered. Surely that will not be a very difficult task for us? And needless to say, it's a task that requires no personal presence in Tucson.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Jesse » Sat May 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Definitely agreed, Alex. That's why I've been grazing and seeding. I assumed others were doing the same.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Postby Kate » Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi there--sorry for the delay, but I'm going to withdraw my recruit suggestion. Not as good of a fit as I'd initially thought.

And a very good reminder to keep the panic level down, thank you, Jimmy. Ren's had a difficult time of it with us, hasn't she? I can't imagine how worried she must be for Phil. It's one thing to know that someone you love will always be present in some sense, but it's something else entirely to be waiting on tenterhooks to see if the person you love is going to turn into somebody entirely different. I've sent a little care package to her, it should be delivered tomorrow or Monday at the latest.
Kate
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Ranjit » Sun May 04, 2014 8:59 pm

I have done my best to synthesize Oskar's seeds and some other facts I have been able to turn up, especially on the relevant medical data. Seeded as the first drinking fountain on the left of the west entrance in the China exhibit at the Epcot Pavilion.
Ranjit
Dreamer
Dreamer

Previous

Return to Stubs