Sochi

Personal stuff, chatter, arguments that don't fit anywhere else.

Sochi

Postby Alexander » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm

So here I am in Sochi, along with what seems like all the security industry workers of the entire country. For the duration I'm running a group of first-responders here at the Winter Olympics. No, not first response to fire, flood, crime or terrorism. What this group of commandeered agency PIs and private security consultants really do is respond to visitor PR disasters. If regular service staff can't handle it, the question becomes: can we successfully suppress it, apologize for it, or somehow actually fix it, in that order of priority. And no, that goddamn fifth ring was not my fault. I've seeded one or two of the more amusing incidents seen so far as the broken rubik's cube next to the change machine in my 80s Arcade game room.

Don't think this is part of any kind of meddlework, by the way, or indeed has anything to do with my own volition. That was a fun five minutes back at my office when Alexey Sedov himself knocked on my door. I was trying to figure out what bad thing (of several possibilities) I had done to merit this, but it turned out he was tapping me -- me of all people -- for this stupid job. This is what I get for maintaining connections to the bureau. Oh well. For the most part the hotel rooms are actually all right for the moment (don't drink the water and don't feed the dogs, of course), but I shudder to think what they'll look like a year from now. Perhaps someone will be smart enough to demolish everything immediately after the games are over and cover it all with topsoil, but somehow I doubt it. Oh well, that's something to look into, anyway, as a possible Incrementalist project.

Do you remember that idea I had a year or so ago about meddlework and international sportsmanship? I'm getting over it fast here in Sochi. Not the athletes' fault, but the teams. And the press. And people like me....
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Re: Sochi

Postby Jesse » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Sooooooo don't envy your position right now. I assume there's nothing we can do to help make this less of a debacle because you'd ask if there were, but I'm offing anyway, for moral support if nothing else.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Postby Phil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

The teams, the sponsors--ie, money. Do you remember how outraged the US media was 50 years ago because the Russians (who, of course, had no corporations) dared to support their athletes with money from the State? And every year, the TV coverage in this country gets worse. And I become older and grumpier. Dammit, you kids get off my lawn!
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Alexander » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Putting cynicism aside (at the moment, this is a major effort), there is something about such sporting events which does at least have the potential for promoting internationalism. IOC corruption has gotten so pervasive and so generally acknowledged that perhaps the current system may suffer some kind of collapse sometime soon due to scandal. If that happens and the money goes away, there may be some prospect for reviving the games on a more reasonable scale. Needless to say even when restarted at the turn of the last century the games were never really about the purity of amateur play or lowering barriers between nations, but at least there were times when it was possible to pretend that these were its goals.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Alexander » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 am

All right. Losing to the Finns is not promoting internationalism. Well, perhaps it is in Helsinki, but not in Russia. Nor is having some dandified goons beat Pussy Riot and their supporters in the streets of Sochi. On camera, yet. Associated Press, for pity's sake. What idiot thought that was a good idea? No, Colonel-General, there are some problems that really can't be solved with horsewhips.
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Yeah. If that turns out to be someone backmeddling, I will strangle him.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Return to Personal