Odd morphing of my garden

Personal stuff, chatter, arguments that don't fit anywhere else.

Odd morphing of my garden

Postby Jesse » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 am

Has anyone else ever experienced their garden changing...I don't know, style? Lately the, I guess you'd call it the "Tron" aspect of my garden, has been occasionally appearing instead as more what I'd define as "sleek and clean cyborg". Haven't noticed any changes with the "inlaid oak paneling" aspect of my garden, so far at least. I've done some grazing back through the deep archive, and I'm not coming across anything like this. Does anyone else know if this has happened before, and / or if this is something I should be concerned about? Further, does anyone understand this phenomena?
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Re: Odd morphing of my garden

Postby Ethan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:00 am

Yeah, actually. But it happened mostly back when Qing was shading - I went from the Mogao Grottoes to the Louvre. There were times when we got something else entirely in the middle, though, and I've caught glimpses of it again since. Another, uh, another paradigm? Another medium? I don't have the vocabulary for it.

I really think... look, I've had arguments about this before, but I think we *have* to have a better understanding of the Garden. I think the most important work we can do right now is to know the tool we're working with. We're still like kids playing with a computer. Or maybe like seniors playing with a computer, when you think about it.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Yeah, my Garden has changed forms several times. Nothing big, but rooms have moved around a bit, and a lot of the outside area--the olive groves, for example, have shifted. Stranger still, my sense triggers have changed. I've sometimes wondered What It All Meant; probably some deep-seated psychological thing going on.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Alexander » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:38 am

There's something distressingly mystical about the Garden. As an atheist and a hater of religion I dislike admitting it, but the whole thing disturbs me a great deal. I have the feeling sometimes that digging too deep into Garden mechanics would be a Bad Thing, and I hate even the idea of such a superstition, much less actually experiencing it myself.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 am

So Prometheus, what *is* fire, anyway?

Maybe we get burned. But we're the guys who still live where they grow the fruit of knowledge. Soldiers have to know guns, politicians need to know lies, and we absolutely need to understand the Garden.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Alexander » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Oh, I agree, it's just more than a little bit creepy, wondering where all this really came from and where it's going.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:40 am

Sorry, the Qing and I are just used to shouting into an echo chamber on this one.

(the joke writes itself from there so i'll let it sit).
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Part of me thinks that if, after 40,000 years, we still no so little, it isn't discoverable. But then I think of all the other hitherto undiscoverable things we've discovered in the last 100 years. So I guess we'll add this to the, "Hell, I don't know," list.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby JWaterford » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 pm

I've deliberately...h'm...semi-deliberately changed my Garden's style; it's always been a library, but the way the library is arranged internally changes each time I've been spiked according to the aesthetic sense of the incoming persona. Interestingly, the books always stay the same (the same book representing the same seed) but everything gets re-bound.

Yes, I know that's strange.

In regard to the Garden as mystical object, here's a favorite quote from Santiago Ramon y Cajal: It is strange to see how the populace, which nourishes its imagination with tales of witches or saints, mysterious events and extraordinary occurrences, disdains the world around it as commonplace, monotonous and prosaic, without suspecting that at bottom it is all secret, mystery and marvel.

When you think how little we understand the brain, our failure to grasp the working of the Garden is not much to be wondered at. If anyone would like to compare lists of questions about this, you can look in Brain, Mind and Behavior, room B of HIBERNAE.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 pm

Oh, I love that quote!
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Return to Personal