Security update

Discussion with and proposals to and from leadership.

Security update

Postby Ramon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:10 pm

I’m sure everyone has seen the alert I placed on the forum this morning.

I do not believe I’m in danger of overstating the severity of the compromise.

As you know, I have been in Brasilia for two weeks conducting physical analysis on the information placed with Writer. Yesterday Drummer got here and I was able to interrogate some of the better encrypted samples. Phil may be pleased to know his ironic comments are more or less exactly correct. In fact, I listed to that very conversation 196kHz (better than typical studio quality); it appeared to have been compressed suggesting they were originally made at an even higher fidelity. What’s really scary is the video.

If I am correct, someone has devised an alternative to proximal synaptic resonance (used by Silk as well as the gateway) but which is NOT subject to connotative sustain. Cogitative sustain identifies the tendency of an Incrementalist’s brain to provide a mirroring image to that of the mental activity present when stimulated by photons of alternating polization. Our architecture is predicated on the notion that only the brain of an Incrementalist will align to grid because only our brains will generate a sufficiently resolute image for long enough to be measured. In practical terms, this means our security has been at the authentication layer only.

Someone with a device exploiting this principle could likely open stream ad-hoc against any known coordinate --or vector-- in the garden. It’s not just data-at-rest here – these people may actually be watching us in HD.
Ramon
Complainer
Complainer

Re: Security update

Postby Alexander » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Translation, please. English or Russian would be fine. I assume I have a need to know, but I don't know what I need to assume.
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ramon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

I have incontrovertible evidence that just about everything we've speculated the US intelligence may be gathering they are. They seem especially interested in us. Special attention was given to our physical infrastructure. I think that our extranet has a technical flaw and must be assumed to be permanent compromised. I'm pretty sure I know exactly who Celeste's "friend" is now.

The good news, to the extent there is any, is that NSA appears institutionally incapable of managing reasonable indexing -- I probably have a better grasp of what they have then they do.
Ramon
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Alexander » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Thank you, Ramon. I realize it is must be painful to have to explain, but you are so clear when you wish to be it's a shame no one can understand you at other times....
"Fascism is not in itself a new order of society. It is the future refusing to be born." -- Aneurin Bevan
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:09 pm

So we're back to passing notes in the Garden?
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ramon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:10 pm

I have no reason to assume that would be safer.
Ramon
Complainer
Complainer

Are you fucking kidding me?

Postby Ryan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:38 pm

I just been laid off from DoD here. It was strongly suggested that I make arrangements to leave town this week if I plan to fly. Fucking single phase, single layer security? Try security by obscurity next time Ramon, I'm sure that'll work.

My project at First Street is spooked, probably permanently. Y'all need to fix this RSN if you plan to maintain any channels within the government, never mind the present administration.
Ryan W. "Billy" Anderson
Future Geologist. I'm sure of it.
Ryan
Complainer
Complainer

Postby JWaterford » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Where the hell are they getting the computing power for this, Ramon? Unless...

Oh, wow.

Well, there went the neighborhood. Ramon, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, room I of ITALIA, please.
What is now Proved, was once only Imagin'd.
JWaterford
Activist
Activist

Postby Jimmy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:17 am

Billy: Sympathies.

All: It's obvious Salt will have to meet in person. Ramon should say when. Do you all want to visit Paris, or should I fly over there?
"There are people who will avoid anything eatable, drinkable, or smoke-able that has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." -- Mark Twain
Jimmy
Activist
Activist

Postby Alexander » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:17 am

Jimmy wrote:All: It's obvious Salt will have to meet in person. Ramon should say when. Do you all want to visit Paris, or should I fly over there?

With all due respect, that is extremely imprudent at this time. To the extent my expertise applies here, I strongly advise an alternative meeting structure that doesn't involve all of SALT being in the same place at the same time. It will take longer, but there wouldn't be nearly as much disruption if an unfortunate accident were to take place in the vicinity of the meeting site. I will be happy to file a seed with my suggestions if you like, but I think the obvious approaches should be fine. The point is not to achieve total security, but also not to provoke any foolish action on someone's part who perhaps doesn't quite understand yet what they're dealing with.
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Ethan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 am

I've seeded a question and some observations as the new Tom Fredo which somehow got hung in the Rococo gallery.
Ethan
Activist
Activist

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Just grazed that seed, Ethan. It's pretty much over my head, but the parts of it I understand are fairly chilling.

Oh, and by the way: Congratulations to us all for not panicking. At least, not yet. I can't help but wonder if the scare a couple of years ago, with the alpha-lock, might have actually taught us all something about maintaining calm and working the problem.
"Your job as a good player isn't to win money, it's to make good decisions." -- Mike Caro
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Matsu » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:38 pm

So far as I know, the NSA is not opening personal mail. Why don't we send letters?
Matsu
Complainer
Complainer

Postby Alexander » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:55 am

The addressing information is public and is collected automatically for all mail, and deliveries to particular destinations can be pulled out for analysis. So you'll need some sort of tradecraft if you want to send paper correspondence.

The usual way is to hire a confederate whose only function is to collect and pass on mail to a dead drop, but of course this is such a hoary old approach that someone in the security services may open some ancient three-ring binder and after sneezing a few times due to the dust cloud, will be able to read up on their measures for detecting such schemes.
Alexander
Catalyst
Catalyst

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Jesse
Muse
Muse

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Well done to everyone involved.
Phil
Catalyst
Catalyst

Return to Salt Forum